Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Turning 31

It's funny how birthdays become less and less exciting as you get older. I remember as a kid barely being able to control my excitement when the calendar turned from August to September because I knew at the end of the month, I would have a birthday. As a kid you can't wait to be a year older. At what age does that balance shift? Clifton and I were discussing it the other day--we think it's around age 26. That's when you start to think maybe every year just makes you older. The good thing is we don't feel our ages (what does 31 "feel" like anyway?)... Maybe I do feel my age.

In the days leading up to my birthday I managed to pick up a bug. So in addition to this never ending nausea from pregnancy, I began vomiting. I got some IV fluids at work on Thursday and ended up leaving work early on Friday--the first time I have ever had to miss work for illness. Clifton babied me and brought me roses. I picked a good one!

By mid-day on Saturday I was feeling better. We even made it out for a birthday dinner that night after Clifton had spent all afternoon sealing our fence. (I got out of this thanks to the warnings on the container that the fumes could make us have a three-headed baby.) We were home in time to watch the devastating loss of Florida to Auburn.

Anyway, this week is a better week. I am even hopeful that the nausea is officially resolving. And as a perk, Clifton finally acknowledges that I am showing. I definitely have a little pooch that the women at work commented on today. I know I will soon be longing for the days when I had a flat tummy, but for now, it is exciting to see that this baby is growing!

4 comments:

Linda Railsback said...

Happy Birthday! Well, what happens is that you look forward to birthdays until sometime in your 20's, then in your 30's they begin to remind you that you are getting older and you resist them. In your 40's you are depressed that birthday's come inexorably. Until after you turn 55 when you look forward to birthday's again because you can't wait for retirement!!
Linda here: That's what Jan says but I think that all birthdays are grand no matter how old you are. My next birthday is the big 6-0 and I'm looking forward to it because we are going on an Alaskan cruise. Everyone is invited! I have two other couples that have made reservations that will join us; the more the merrier!

My heart goes out to you over the nausea. I will do ANYTHING not to vomit! I hope that it will subside soon. Let me warn you about ice cream though. Just remember me, that rolly polly aunt and you will give up ice cream! I love ice cream and Texas has this Blue Bell brand that is so good but fattening!

Enjoy and best wishes on another birthday!

Linda Railsback said...

Happy Birthday! Well, what happens is that you look forward to birthdays until sometime in your 20's, then in your 30's they begin to remind you that you are getting older and you resist them. In your 40's you are depressed that birthday's come inexorably. Until after you turn 55 when you look forward to birthday's again because you can't wait for retirement!!
Linda here: That's what Jan says but I think that all birthdays are grand no matter how old you are. My next birthday is the big 6-0 and I'm looking forward to it because we are going on an Alaskan cruise. Everyone is invited! I have two other couples that have made reservations that will join us; the more the merrier!

My heart goes out to you over the nausea. I will do ANYTHING not to vomit! I hope that it will subside soon.

Let me warn you about ice cream though. Just remember me, that rolly polly aunt and you will give up ice cream! I love ice cream and Texas has this Blue Bell brand that is so good but terribly fattening!

Enjoy and best wishes on another birthday!

Elin Ketels said...

Happy (belated) birthday! When you are feeling better, go out, enjoy, and celebrate! Next year will be a very different birthday! I must admit, that even on the cusp of 40, I still look forward to each coming year! (YMMV).
I'm sorry to hear that you are still nauseous... a wise sister-in-law once prescribed greasy fast food as a remedy. Glad to say it DID work to ease the nausea. Unfortunately, it also contributed to a 50 pound weight gain...

hooray for your pooch! Looking forward to more pictures!

Lori Feierabend said...

Being 26, I can verify that the shift does change about now. I think it's because you can still claim a youthful "mid-twenties" age until 27 or so, then you're done -- officially an old and crusty adult. (Clifton will get that one) :)

And Aunt Linda is right about Blue Bell ice cream, heaven on a spoon!