Wednesday, October 28, 2015

October days...

Listen, folks. Winter it is coming. You know that's true because I got the flannel sheets out. But not the electric blanket. No, that never left our bed and I used it all summer long. Oh yes I did. So we decided to get in one last fall get-away to the mountains. And this is Sarah's new pose. For every picture. Head tilt, awkward weight shift, something in the mouth when possible.

We spent a day hiking near Brainard Lake, which was beautiful but pretty cold and windy. Someone may have shed a tear or two. Just our annual October torture for our kids. 

Remember this from 2012? I just keep telling myself that someday they'll thank us. Which reminds me... Mom and Dad, thanks for all the places you took us when we were little.

They did humor me for a few pictures. And I only had a small heart attack as Sarah climbed herself all over the top of this rock. I think she does it just to mess with me.

When we got away from the water and into the protection of the woods, the girls became much better adventurers on a pretty long hike.

They were totally prepared for what to do when we came across mountain lions. The main thing: don't run. Riiiiight. 

It was so pretty there.

Then we really decided to push our luck and do a hike to Mitchell Lake. 

We carved a pumpkin while we were up there. It's now in the compost pile because apparently pumpkins decompose on your front porch over ten days in a nice warm fall.

The finished product and some smores face.

The girls played some hide and seek on the property. Is there anything better than a two year old's hiding spots?

The next day we hiked along the St Vrain trail.

Taggie came along for the hikes both days, got incredibly filthy, and will never be the same again.


This was so cute. Sarah asked Annika to come sit on her lap.

Sunrise on the way to Clifton's race. So stunning if you can ignore the bug smears on the window.

Here comes Clifton. That look? That's why I don't run. It does not look fun.

But you know what is fun? Winning.

This guy finished in 1:18:13, 16th overall (of 7,943 runners) and first in the Masters Division.

Just a couple obligatory fall photos in the neighborhood.




And I love this picture so please don't point out to me the awkward  position of Sarah's hand.

No comments: