In early July, after much deliberation in the way that Harteminks seem inclined to do, we drove to northern Michigan for a sibling get together -- I'm putting this here as a placeholder because it probably deserves a post to itself so July doesn't get out of control.
After our week together, our family opted to travel home through the UP where we hit the National Lakeshore.
It had some beautiful lush waterfalls.
And some easy hikes....
... that dropped us off at Lake Superior.
I had kept their swimsuits out, but air temperature was in the 60s and Lake Superior isn't just warm in early July, so they just went in to their knees.
...Until five minutes later when they were fully submerged in the waves and later finishing the hike soaking wet.
On the way home, at somewhere in the middle of nowhere Iowa, at 11pm because of course it always happens in the middle of nowhere at night in a pandemic, we blew our tire. I mean, we super blew it. We left no room for uncertainty.
No problem, we can totally change a tire. Unload back of car onto side of highway. Lose spare tire when it rolls down a ditch on side of road in thigh high grass. Use light of cell phone to try to jack up car while trucks are flying by at 80mph. Consider who will raise your children if you are both killed trying to change said tire. Discover you are unable to get your car up on a jack because you are parked on a slope. Call police. Try to get roadside assistance. Find out that no one is working in the middle of nowhere in a pandemic. Call police back as tearful mother. Get police there. Get tow truck there. Get tire changed. Drive an hour on a donut praying that it holds up. I realize how much I take for granted that car travel typically just goes well.
Back home again, picnic dinner by the lake for date night.
Celebrating Harry Potter's birthday, which I think is just an elaborate excuse to drink cream soda with whip cream on it (butterbeer). But the kids did the cooking so I'll take it.
Another week at the farm taking care of the chickens.
...and this lovable face.
And enjoying the mountains...
... and the sunsets
There is something so restorative to me about being on the farm.
This is what doctoring looks like these days when patients have symptoms.
Grandma Clyde and JD were in Breckenridge for the week and let us crash for a day with them.
More sunset mountain shots.
Ah, we might kindof love our pup.



















No comments:
Post a Comment