Thursday, December 1, 2022

September 2022

 

We started September in Bartlesville

Celebrating Annika's 12th birthday with some of our favorite people.

We always love our time with JD and Grandma Clyde. (Naomi stayed with friends for the weekend so she wouldn't miss ballet, but was sad to miss everyone.)

Like Uncle Jan and Aunt Linda who had come up from Arkansas.

Back at the Farmer's, the kids took turns driving the tractor

That was followed by an epic obstacle course and water balloon fight.

And elephant toothpaste...

And making ice cream...

And arm wrestling. We had so much fun!

One more ride in the dark with glowing bracelets and Travis behind the wheel.

Picture of the Railsbacks

Sisters 💕

Ah, fall soccer. Where you'll either be sweating in shorts and flip flops or freezing your butt off.

Annika's old coach came to watch his girls -- they were so excited to see him.

One Saturday evening we went to a Rapids game with the Harteminks. Dave had a sweet set up for us.

Including a way to watch the Gators play!

Unlike the Gators, the Rapids won their game.



Homecoming weekend at Longmont High started with a football game and a parade.

It's not unusual to see hot air balloons at soccer games.

It's a little unusual to see them accidentally land on a soccer field. But it makes for a great photo :)


Over the years I have gotten so many sympathetic knowing looks and when people learn that I have three girls. "Just wait til they're teenagers." "Good luck." "I'm sorry." "Poor Clifton." I cannot tell you how many times people said these things to me. Pretty much since day one. 

And while we definitely have our moments (sometimes days and weeks), I have to say I love being a girl mom. Wouldn't trade it for anything. All along I knew I'd love the cute little dresses and the blonde wispy pigtails... the tights that bunched up around tiny little ankles... dress up and tea parties... ballet recitals and soccer games... learning how to ride a bike... getting on that school bus for the first time... completing their first chapter book...

What I didn't realize is that I'd love the tween years... the middle school years (which I can't say I loved in my own life)... and now the high school years. Don't get me wrong. I screw up. The girls screw up. We cry. A lot. We're figuring each other out. The girls are learning how to push off and define themselves. I'm learning how and when to let go. But we still like each other. Which is maybe more than I expected at this stage.

And being a girl mom means that sometimes your super cool kid invites her super cool friends over. And they bring their super cool moms. And while getting ready for Homecoming, your house is filled with make up and mirrors and curling irons and high heels and laughter.

And I wouldn't trade that for anything either.


Table set for eight.

I didn't have to prep food -- Naomi and her friends planned a potluck dinner.

It's possible that every single mom made them stop for a picture at the table. And they kept humoring us. I told you they were super cool.

After dinner the dining room transformed into this chaos and just watching this was my favorite part of the night.

And then a ridiculous number of group photos





And then maybe a mom group photo...




Naomi and Ella were working out some ballet pose and I could not adore Luna more.


Meanwhile it was Annika's birthday that day. So Clifton went to the pool with Annika and her friends during the Homecoming pre-party, and then they came back to our house for a slumber party. Because why not have one really overextended weekend?

Annika's friends know her really well.


Sleep was optional at this sleepover.

A few of her favorite birthday presents.

Luna had a good run with her favorite toy hedgehog. Here she is proudly sitting in the carnage.

And a cupcake on her actual birthday.

No idea what is actually going on here.

Mid-air shot! Annika can float confirmed! (Caption submitted by Naomi)

Float gene not yet confirmed. (Also Naomi)

Naomi was an enchanted maiden during the fall showcase The Firebird.


She also had fun in "It's a Swing Thing" which was a swing/ballet hybrid.





My Uncle Dwight and Aunt Gerda passed through Longmont for a night and were able to see the show which was so fun!

After the show

Naomi's ballet bestie Lucy was there too.

Lynne has been such a great friend to Naomi this year as she transitioned into high school and her ballet program. Lynne was the super talented Firebird.

Miss Jessi was back in town for a weekend. It's hard to overstate what an important part of our lives she is. She was there for the chaos of newborns and toddlers and swim lessons and preschool drop offs. The nanny that was supposed to just be with us for a semester was part of our family for years. And her family became our family and we couldn't be more grateful. 

On September 28th, Ian made landfall in Fort Myers as a category 4 hurricane. It was terrifying to know that so many people I love were there and I was far away and could do nothing to help. By the grace of God, my parents stayed safe and dry. They had stayed with their neighbor who had a windowless laundry room. They were without water and electricity for a while, but that was nothing compared to the loss that many of their friends faced. There is so much damage and it's heartbreaking to see photos of the town that is home looking so unrecognizable.

This sign, which has been a landmark for decades, survived and continues as a beacon of hope.

For my birthday I needed a day away from everything (except this guy), so we went for a hike in the mountains which is always good for my weary heart.

And then out for a birthday dinner.

Later we celebrated with this delicious treat that Naomi made for me.

I don't know, guys. 46 seems pretty old but I don't feel old. Life is maybe a little crazier than I'd like; I don't have as much time for reading and journaling (and blogging apparently) as I thought I would have at this stage of the game. Work is hard. It's not always pretty around here. But we're good. We love each other. That's enough for me.

1 comment: