Annika is guest blogger this month. Enjoy
We left from Santa Fe and headed to Mesa Verde, stopping at Chimney Rock along the way.
Working our way to the top. Not pictured: our check engine light that came on AGAIN during the drive. If anyone's looking for a van, we've got one cheap.
With Chimney Rock in the background. Sarah's skeptical.
This is the Great Kiva there.
We stayed at a great VRBO with sunsets like these.
Mama always loves a good sunset.
I think I need to join karate. Also, this wasn't staged. Sarah's just really scared of my incredible skills.
Mesa Verde was so cool to visit!
Once inside the park, you've got a long drive ahead of you to get anywhere, but it is worth it. We could see all the way to Utah from this point.
This tour was called 'Balcony House'.
We climbed 30 foot ladders...
...to get to the middle of the house...
...and crawled through this tiny passage!
And, of course, climbed some more ladders. The people that lived here didn't have ladders like this.
They had a version of stairs with shallow hand and toe holds carved into the rock. And no chains to hold onto to make sure they didn't fall.
It was seriously steep.
Our second tour was of 'Cliff Palace' which is the iconic dwelling there.
Wrapped up the day with some hot tub time!
The next morning we went on a hike called, 'Petroglyph Point Trail'.
Wow. We are so cool.
These were the petroglyphs that we hiked 4 miles for. It was pretty cool.
Mom was very scared that Sarah would fall. I think she would be fine, even if she fell from this height.
But we still needed pictures. Mom puts away fear for pictures. She'll do pretty much anything for pictures. This outcropping was only about eight feet wide.
We really packed it all in and went to Four Corners!
And, of course, our last sunset and hot tub before we packed up and went back home.
Home again we celebrated Asher's 14th birthday with our small group.
My soccer team got a new coach this season. He's pretty serious. It was hailing and raining pretty hard at a preseason friendly. We were still out there warming up for the game while the other team was sitting cozy in their cars.
The next weekend we had our tournament, and we did really well. It was a huge confidence boost for our team that had a lot of ties but only won one game last season.
Header!!
There are always so many pretty sunsets in Colorado.
Sarah's team also got a new coach, who was actually my old coach! Their tournament went well too.
Let me tell you, being midfield can mean not a lot of scoring opportunities. But I scored in this tournament! I guess Sarah did too, but not as important.
In the last week of summer, we went swimming at 9:30 pm because it was on Sarah's bucket list. Not for long though. People who don't want to swim did not let us swim long because they would rather be in bed. *cough* Mom *cough*
Luna's a super-snuggler.
And just like that, school was upon us!
Naomi and I had the day off for the 6th and 9th graders to get used to school, so it was just Sarah this day.
Holly is so cool. Sarah got a ride to school with her on her first day.
But the next day, we had to go too.
Ok, I had just gone for a run. Cut me some slack.
See, less sweaty by the time I was at school.
Naomi's friend's mom is a teacher, and after lunch their friend group breaks in and steals snacks. Just kidding. But I'm sure Maddie's mom wishes she had locks on the doors sometimes.
This is me. And Rehanna. We are best friends.
This year I decided (with much encouragement from Asher, Steve, my friend Paxton, and more) to run Cross Country. This was my first meet, called 'Hell or Highwater'. I wanted to die.
And I got 8th overall! 5th in just 8th grade, which is what this picture was.
If you want to run a couple miles, there aren't a lot of prettier places than this.
We had a lot of rainbows this year...
Mom, Suzi, and Catie started to do hikes on Thursday mornings this month.























































No comments:
Post a Comment