Friday, August 1, 2008

A few thoughts for the week...

Haven't done much in the way of blogging lately because the pictures tell the story, but I thought I'd jot down a couple things that happened this week.

Naomi's got a cold. She's had it for well over a week now. It didn't seem to phase her too much until the past couple days. She has a pretty wet cough. It sounds like what you and I would do when we need to get something up, but she doesn't cough well enough to do that. So she's not eating well and not sleeping well... Clifton and I are pretty exhausted and are really ready for this vacation... We just hope that she isn't too miserable on the plane...

In other Naomi news, she has a boyfriend. His name is Gunnar. He's two weeks older than she is. She met him at daycare. They like to laugh together, roll over on their sides and stare at each other, and now hold hands. We're encouraging her to take it slowly, not get too tied down when there is so much else to do out there--Clifton didn't realize this would happen so early. He seems like a nice kid though...

This week in this office I saw the 12 month old daughter of one of the nurses. She had fallen at home and had an obviously deformed forearm. She was screaming in pain. We did the x-rays and both bones were pretty badly broken and out of place. I was pretty sure she'd need surgery for it. I explained to the parents, tried to soothe the child, and then went back to my office and cried. I have never done that before. It was hard because I knew the mom and baby. It was hard because it was a 12 month old who had no idea why she was hurting so badly. But I think it was mostly hard because that could happen to Naomi someday. We want so much to protect her, but we also want her to be free to live in her environment, without fear of new situations or people. And we know getting hurt will be part of that. It's just hard to stare at her sweet sleeping face and know that she'll have to go through some of that herself.

Sigh...

1 comment:

ginny hoar said...

Brady is not to happy about this Gunnar character.