Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Remembrances

Part of remembering someone is telling their story. So in the days following Mom’s death, we were showered with many wonderful stories about her. And about Clifton’s dad.  As friends spoke, it struck me again and again that everyone described his parents as synonymous. You couldn’t think of one without the other. That they had an incredible love story.  I hope someday when people are reflecting on our life together, that we will be remembered the same way.
 
One of the things that was meaningful to me was how much I learned about Clifton’s dad while we were there through these stories told by those who knew him best. It makes me sad to know that I never got to meet the man Clifton knew as Dad, but with others’ fond remembrances, I feel like I’ve been given a window into Clifton.
 
After the funeral, one of Lori’s high school friends approached us. With tears in his eyes, he told us how much Clifton’s dad had meant to him. After Clifton’s dad’s death, this friend had written down about eight sentences on a small piece of paper that he always keeps in his wallet. They serve as a pep talk for him on the dark days in life when you really need to remind yourself who you are and what is important. He unfolded the piece of paper, holding it out for us to see. The last sentence read, “I will never forget the integrity of Darrell Lynn Railsback.” What a testimony to the man he was. I now see where Clifton gets his silent strength. His discipline. His character. His grace.

No comments: