Another week come and gone. Last week we were saying goodbye to Aunt Lori and Uncle Jerry. We had a couple days relaxing and cleaning in preparation for the arrival of my parents (Oma and Opa). Naomi has been on her best behavior since they got here, making her the clear choice for favorite grandchild. (You're going to have to step up, Abby, Matthew, Andrew and Zach :)). She has started smiling more often, though refuses to be a performer and won't smile around cameras. Her head control is quite good now. The cutest part of her day is still her stretching and yawning routine as she wakes.
Having Oma around means less cooking and cleaning, as well as strongly suggested/enforced nap times for me. (Who is going to argue with their mom telling them to take a nap?) Having Opa around means house projects get done. So Saturday Clifton and my dad installed a storm door in one of our rooms. It adds an amazing amount of light. The breeze in the summer and extra sun in the winter will be most welcome. The "to do" list is long. I keep telling them that as soon as they finish it we can do fun Colorado things. :)
Having Oma and Opa around also means that I can get out of the house during the day. I had my first outing without her when my mom and I went to the grocery store. When we returned, Naomi was in a different outfit, as was my dad, and the sofa cushion was on our kitchen counter waiting to be cleaned. Naomi had decided to have a profusely wet burp while we were gone. Since then I've also gotten a hair cut and gone to Bible Study without her. It's been nice to have a couple baby-free hours here and there.
The other big thing that happened this week was that I stopped breastfeeding. My arthritis had flared to the point that even simple things (brushing my teeth, getting dressed, opening the milk) were painful or impossible. That in addition to the fact that I was not sleeping well at all made this the obvious/rational decision to make, but it took me a couple weeks to emotionally prepare myself to do it. So last night I cried silent tears as I nursed Naomi for the last time. I am sure I will miss it still, but I know she needs a mom who is rested and comfortable.
The good news is that I gave myself an injection of my medications last night and took a couple pills to help with some symptom control. I slept okay; Clifton did the 3am feeding; and I woke this morning feeling much better. I'm sure it was more the muscle relaxant than the injection (which will take about a month to become effective), but I'll take what I can get. Naomi's gone a couple nights sleeping six hours in a row--now we just have to teach her which six hours are best, and it's not 9pm til 3am.
Maternity leave is officially half over. I cannot believe how fast it has gone. Watching her grow, I think we have just started a lifetime of saying that we cannot believe how fast time goes.
How can we make it slow down?
No comments:
Post a Comment