We had a nice first week with Annika. She was born at 4:03pm, with enough time left for us to watch the end of the Gator game. :) Dave, Val and Jeremy came by our room within a couple hours, and Steve and Suzi followed shortly behind with Amelia and Naomi. It was fun to be able to share our joy so immediately with those we love so dearly.
We spent the next 24 hours in the hospital. That night was a lot of nursing with Annika, which was how it was with Naomi as well. At least I was prepared this time. The nurse came in and took her for a couple hours, so I could sleep which was heavenly. We also introduced the pacifier within eight hours of life this time, and no one seems the worse for it.
With Naomi I was in such a world of hurt physically that we were happy to stay as long as the hospital would let us. This time I felt so much better that I just wanted to get home where I thought we could all sleep better.
So we went home Sunday evening. Naomi spent that night with Uncle Dave and Aunt Val to give us a little more time to adjust. Monday Clifton went back to work (I really hope his company realizes what a workhorse they have in him), and Annika and I had a day to ourselves. The rest of the week was a combination of Naomi going to daycare or Clifton taking the morning off, so it wasn't until Thursday afternoon that I braved both girls alone. People brought us meals which is always a treat.
We had a doctor's appointment on September 21 (day 3) for a weight check. She was down from 7#12oz to 7#5oz. About what I'd expect for a breastfed baby. Her jaundice didn't look nearly as bad as Naomi's did at that age.
Annika has settled into a decent sleep pattern. If I feed her around 10:30pm, she'll wake once in the middle of the night and then not again until 6 or 7am. I'm tired, but not exhausted. A toddler at home certainly makes daytime naps for Mama more of a challenge.
I also don't feel quite as crazy emotional as I did last time around. I think Clifton would agree. :) Annika eats better which was a lot of my stress with Naomi. She takes longer to soothe herself to sleep than N did. More important of a factor is that I've probably learned to worry a bit less. I mean, we were clueless with Naomi and she doesn't seem too messed up yet. We'll do our best to not mess this one up either. :)
4 comments:
Alison, I love and appreciate all that you share with us. Do you realize how special you are? Your girls are so precious. Also, the beautiful name, Annika Lynn Railsback, has a special ring to it plus a special memory of a wonderful man connected to it!
Oops! I forgot to sign off. Love, Aunt Sara
thanks, aunt sara. i love that you enjoy the work i put into the blog. makes it all worth it. we are happy that annika shares part of her name with the man that is such a big part of who clifton is today. we pray that she will also share clifton's dad's personality, values, and character. we love you!
Aunt Sara, I couldn't agree with you more! Thank you Alison for sharing so much with us, so well! And hugs to both of you for your lovely comments about Annika's grandpa :) I know he would be over the moon about these precious girls. Love all around!
Post a Comment