Dear Sarah Mae,
It's your first day of kindergarten, so I wanted to write you a letter -- tell you how much I love you and how proud I am of you.
You were our miracle, sweet love. I very much wanted a third child, but I was afraid. Afraid of another miscarriage. Afraid of the hurt. Afraid of the unknown. But Daddy and I decided that fear was not how we were going to live. So we prayed and we hoped and we dreamed. And here you came into our lives. Fear did not win. God's grace and mercy brought you into this beautiful world.
Early on I knew you would be strong and passionate and fierce. Daddy said, "How can you tell?" But I knew. It was so clear to me, even when you were a few months old, that you were going to charge at life, fearlessly and relentlessly. It would make our job as parents more challenging, but also more joyful. And that's what these five years have been. A joy.
It’s been our joy to see you discover who you are and what you love. So as you start kindergarten, I want to make a list of things you love. You love your sisters. You don't always act like it, and you don't love being told what to do, but you love them. And you really love showing them up. You love animals -- all animals. You love crafts and getting messy. You love adventure. There's no slowing you down. I gasp a lot as you move through life. You love soccer. And swimming. Pancakes. Being read to. Snuggling. So much snuggling. Glitter and shiny and slime. Blankie and taggie. You love to be around people.
And today you start your official educational journey. Kindergarten, here you come! You got on that bus after your sisters without looking back. I literally could not get you to turn around for a photo. You were on a mission.
You didn't hesitate. You never seemed nervous. I didn't cry that you were leaving, that for the first time in ten plus years I am alone at home on a day off. It's not that I'm not sad. It's a little sad that my babies are all in school -- that this phase is over. But more than sad, it's exciting. It's thrilling to see you grow and learn. There is nothing better for me and Daddy than for us to watch you girls take on the world. To be who God created you to be.
So, sweet Sarah Mae, I pray that this is a good year for you. That you learn and that you love learning. That you are kind. That you are brave to try new ideas, to go the extra mile, to do the right thing, to love and to be loved. That all your strength and passion changes this world the way you've changed my world. That you remember Whose you are.
I love that in my time of fear, God gave me this fearless girl. Go get 'em, baby girl! Show me how big your brave is. I can't wait to watch and learn from you.
Love,
Mama


No comments:
Post a Comment