My college room mate Valerie and her husband came to visit for a night and somehow this is the only picture I have to show for it. If we had thought to take a picture of us together, we'd look good. And not a day older than 21.
Sarah's praying for God to put a baby in my tummy. If I find out which of you gave her that idea, there's going to be trouble. Baby Abigail will have to do for now.
Fourth of July bike parade with cousins, where all the kids follow a firetruck through the neighborhood like the Pied Piper.
...and it's worth it for this sweet payoff!
Summer evenings in the Railsback lawn.
Naomi's always working to become stretchier in ways that seem painful to my old body. And actually, that would've been painful to me even when I was ten.
In July we had a Hartemink Family Reunion in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. This was the view from the back porch of the house.
21 people in one house. The only way to go.
It's a gorgeous part of the state, so there were lots of hikes...
...and some waterfalls.
...and sisters who still think it's fun to match.
We spent a day at a reservoir...
...which happened to be Mom and Dad's 50th anniversary.
Abby, Lily and Naomi decorated themselves and the kayak with wildflowers.
Out kayaking with my mom. Nothing slows this woman down.
If you have to change a flat tire, make sure it's where you have a great view. Maybe change two more flat tires that week because you love the view so much!
We spent a night celebrating Dave's 40th birthday together.
If this doesn't earn us a spot on the cover of an alumni magazine, I don't know what does.
Can't go to Pagosa Springs and not spend a day in the springs!
There were various pools of hot water of different temperatures from natural springs.
Clifton and his girls.
Paddleboating on the lake behind the house.
The place where we stayed raises malamutes for sledding in the winter. We may been a little bit obsessed with the brand new puppies.
Near the end of the week we spent a night out celebrating Oma and Opa's 50th anniversary.
This is their legacy.
This was a spontaneous group photo on the drive home from dinner. The kids barely humored us to smile for one more group photo.
Or two. But just two. Then we'll go home. We promise. You'll thank us someday.
The look on your face when you realize your bride of 50 years is coming down the stairs in her wedding gown.
Lots of ups. Lots of downs. Lots of God's grace.
July 9, 1968
...and 2018. They look great, right?
Opening a few gifts from the grandchildren...
This is the second reunion where the kids have spent time on an ipad creating something together. This year they wrote a screenplay and then did costumes and choreography and editing and made a short film. For the record, I wouldn't know how to start doing this.
As a super special treat, Abby stayed with us for an extra week and a half after the reunion to babysit the girls.
Um, do you know how awesome it is to have a teenager who loves your kids and can use a food processor living with you?
They made desserts for us.
And a multi-course dinner another night.
We did do fun stuff on the days that I didn't work....
Like play in the water at Eldorado Canyon State Park.
And who wouldn't want to watch an impromptu handstand competition in the middle of Pearl Street? That red sweatshirt person? That's me. Those are my abs.
Making pottery at Crackpots.
And a day at the zoo.
Our old neighbors were back in town for a weekend, so we got to say hi. We miss having grandparents right across the street.
Hmmm, according to Naomi, my main thing is that I'm "always looking to get things done." I mean, I'm not disagreeing. But I think Clifton's winning in terms of priorities in this house.
Fun day in Lyons at Rocky Grass Festival with the Clarks.
Pretty enamored with the all girl band performing.
...and back that night without kids for some adult bluegrassing with good friends.
When patients give you sour cherries, you get out your bobby pins, start digging out pits, and make sour cherry jam...
Date night to see Into the Woods, which we saw together on our fourth date in Lancaster.
Matt and Amber and Harper and Weston were out for a visit at the end of the month. Again, how do I not get better pictures when friends come into town?
I did get this super sweet pic of a belly flop about to happen....
Closing out the blog and the month with this guy. On July 27th the world lost Paul in an incredibly tragic drowning accident. He was a great man and friend and physician. He was hilarious and ridiculous (which is why this gif even exists) and smart and kind. He always had time for everyone. Processing this loss has been one of the hardest things I've done in my life. And I've still got a long way to go. I wanted him here, in my blog which is kind of like my diary, so I can bookmark this event, and keep coming back to it, and keep remembering who he was and how much he changed all of us in the office.







































3 comments:
Always love your blog, but this entry was particularly wonderful. Thanks for sharing your life with us!!
Love seeing the photos of your whole family together. You need to take Naomi, Boy “A”, Boy “M” and Boy “J” and recreate a photo of you, Alex, Chris and Dave from your childhood.
Great photos and memories!
Post a Comment