Monday, December 17, 2012

Sarah's sixth week

We're having fun anticipating Christmas and all that brings with it. Naomi had her school Christmas performance; we finished most of our Christmas shopping; we made cinnamon rolls for our neighbors; Clifton took a day off of work during which we worked on our Christmas cards; the girls are making some Christmas crafts; and we had our Sunday school Christmas party.

Sarah's growing and changing. She's more awake and interactive--we think she even smiled intentionally a couple times this week. And she slept six hours in a row on two different nights this week! That made this mama happy! Her reflux seems to be getting worse, or at least more of it is ending up on me. The big girls still love to love on her. 

I'm still enjoying having Jess (our nanny) help us out in the mornings--she has been such a blessing to our family. The girls love her (so do I!), and I'm not sure how I'd make it without her. I've even had some time to myself to run on the treadmill--didn't see that coming, did you? Watch out, Clifton!

My arthritis is worsening, but is still tolerable. I have an appointment with the rheumatologist this coming week, so we'll see what he recommends.

Of course this week also carried with it the tragedy in Connecticut. I feel so heartbroken for those parents, families, the community, the first responders... I do not know where to start. I appreciated that our pastor ditched his planned sermon and put together some thoughts on the situation, and closed with this Christmas carol, which has been encouraging to me: 

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men...

......And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men..."

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


5 comments:

Callie Feyen said...

The sadness is overwhelming, isn't it? The hymn is perfect, however. Thanks for sharing it as well as a snippet of how your lovely family is doing.

Anonymous said...

Alison your grace and wisdom inspire me. Love you. Miss you.
Kelley

Lori said...

Yep, reflux is a laundry issue for the whole family! Hope it settles down soon, and hope you feel better too. Thank you for this lovely post. :)

Mink said...

i've been thinking a lot about this verse too:
"Be near me, Lord Jesus;
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me I pray!
Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care,
And fit us for Heaven
To live with Thee there."

Mink said...

oh for more grace and more wisdom... wish we lived closer so we could do more day to day life together, but thankful for our long wonderful friendship. miss you too!